Online Teacher Training Seminars
Making Prayer Real Course Curriculum
Facilitated by Rabbi Mike Comins, the Teacher Training Seminar offers an in-depth introduction to the MPR approach to learning Jewish prayer and the MPR Course curricular materials.
The Training is intended for those who wish to do one or more of the following:
- Learn an innovative, proven methodology* for teaching Jewish prayer.
- Evaluate if the MPR Course curriculum is appropriate for their community.
- Acquire knowledge, experience and skills to effectively teach the MPR Course.
Program HighlightsThe following themes are presented during the Training:
- An overview of the Course and the curricular resources, including pedagogic advice for each of the five modules.
- A demonstration of key prayer practices from the curriculum, emphasizing experiential exercises that you have likely not tried before.
- Various techniques for working with the MPR videos.
- A demonstration of teaching various topics, particularly the sessions presenting the pedagogic strategy of the MPR Course (a "spiritual dynamics" approach and prayer as a practice; see Pedagogic Strategies for information).
- Cultivating an open, safe workshop environment of exploration and support for the students.
In addition, Rabbi Comins relays feedback from previous teachers on how to tweak the curriculum for your community. Sample topics: What is the best way to schedule the Course? How do I deal with a large class? How should I promote the Course?
The training is divided into two, four-hour sessions covering the following topics:
Part AThe MPR Approach to Deepening Prayer
The Emotional Foundations of Prayer
Bringing the Body into Prayer
Mindfulness and the Art of Blessing
Part BNew Approaches to Learning Liturgy
Putting Heart into Words
Cultivating Personal Prayer
Discerning a Response to Prayer